1. Designate an ‘EDI Person/Captain’ within your business as a go-to contact for your EDI provider – creating a single contact allows for quick resolution to issues that may arise. This will ensure that your EDI is up and running promptly.
2. If you are already dealing with a VAN – ensure that your provider has all the information they need to communicate and setup with your VAN.
3. Ensure that the translator/communication software is installed on the computer to be used for EDI.
4. Give advanced notice to your EDI client or trading partner to allow them to respond quickly during the testing phase of the project.
5. Label software and label printer if required need to be installed for ASN’s.
6. Expect a certain level of commitment on your part for the initial setup and implementation of the EDI process.
7. Make sure the lines of communication are open - expect phone calls and emails from your EDI provider – delaying the response time can impact the project timeline.
If you would like to add to this list, please feel free to leave a comment.